Healthy Smoothie How To
What are the best super-foods to include in smoothies?
- Spirulina (nutrient heavy)
- Coconut Oil (healthy fat)
- Flax Seeds (ground for easy absorption)
- Gogi Berries (antioxidants)
- Chia Seeds
- HempSeeds (for protein)
- Cocoa Nibs (antioxidants)
What should the fruit to veggie ratio be in a smoothie?
- You can’t go wrong eating fresh whole foods, don’t get too caught up on amounts – smoothies are great for guesstimating amounts and should be fun to make.
- If you’re just starting out… start with smaller amounts of
vegitablesthen gradually increase to get your palate used to the less sweet taste
- Maybe start with 60% fruit and 40% veggies (like spinach leaves)
What is better for you fresh pressed juice or smoothies?
- These are two totally different things and shouldn’t be compared as one being ‘better’ than another.
- Smoothies have a lot of the
fibers in tactso they’re very filling and get digested more slowly.
- You can add nut
buttersand nut milksto smoothies to make them more substantial (and delicious) if you feel like it.
- Fresh pressed juices are very concentrated micronutrients that act like a shot of nutrition right to your
blood streambecause there isn’t much fibre to them – which is good if you want to be absorbing the nutrients almost immediately.
- These both have two different functions in the body and are BOTH GOOD!
How to sneak greens into smoothies so my kids (or partner)
- Add a lot of dark colour fruits (like dark berries) to mask the colour. Sometimes the dark green colour can be more offputting than the taste.
Do I need an expensive blender to make a good smoothie?
- Although you do get what you pay for, the function of the blender is just to combine the foods enough to create a drinkable texture. If your solid to liquid ratios are right, cheaper blenders should be able to handle the job.
- Here’s a list of the best blenders for 2019
Let us know in the comments below what your go-to smoothie recipe is!
The Live Well Centre