8 ways to avoid the 3pm crash
You shouldn’t NEED to reach for that afternoon pick-me-up *ahem* coffee…sugars…afternoon snacks.
Many people think they’re fatigued in the afternoon due to lack of sleep but, for many people, it’s caused by blood sugar imbalance.
How to balance your blood sugar to avoid needing that after-lunch timmies run:
1. Include a protein and healthy fat in everything that you eat (that’s meals and snacks) Keeping you fuller longer
2. Include a Fibre source from complex carbs such as fruits and veggies. Slowing the release of glucose into the bloodstream.
3. Avoid processed refined sugars and simple carbs (bagels, pastries) these are nutrient-free and headed right to the bloodstream.
4. Reduce your caffeine. Although coffee makes it feel like a solution to fatigue by acting as an appetite suppressant and offering false energy… it is also a stimulant that causes you to release stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline that raises your blood sugar.
5. Pack snacks such as nuts & seeds, fruits, etc to have on hand. If you wait until extreme hunger strikes – your body will reach for the closest and easiest food source (often processed).
6. Include natural blood sugar balancers like cinnamon, chromium (found in pepper, potato skins), and apple cider vinegar.
7. Make your mental and emotional state a priority. High-stress levels will spike your blood sugar that’s why we stay STRESS CAUSES BELLY FAT. Your emotional stress causes physiological stress that can lead to adrenal fatigue and spiked cortisol levels.
8. Setting your alarm 15 minutes earlier in the morning can actually LOWER your stress levels during the day by allowing you time to prepare a proper breakfast and leave the house in less of a rush.
Try these 8 tips to avoid the HANGRY 3pm fatigue and let us know how it helps you!
Best of luck,
The Live Well Centre