Did you know February is Heart Health month?
That’s right – There is no better time than now to ensure you are doing everything possible to maintain a healthy heart
Use our quick healthy heart checklist to make sure you are doing all that you can:
Slow Moving Cardiovascular Exercise At Least 3 Times Per Week
- We are talking about long, slow movements like walking, hiking, swimming, skating, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. You should be able to maintain a conversation while exercising and be sure to not raise your heart rate too high! Ideally you can fit in an hour of slow cardiovascular exercise, 3 times per week! Kingston is filled with tons of resources for getting outside and being active in the winter, make use of them!
Reduce Stress With Strength – Training!
- Find the time to perform 3 high-intensity strength-training sessions per week! Strength-training not only does wonders for your heart health, but also can relieve stress and tension from your day. Don’t know how to strength train? Look into our Functional Fit and Cross-Fit classes here at The Live Well Centre to provide you guidance, support and enjoyment!
Treat Yourself To A Massage
- Try to get at least one 60-minute massage per month to help relax your physical and mental tension and help you feel better! We know of a clinic with some great therapists if you need one! (Hint, Hint: a gift-certificate for a massage is a great Valentines Day gift) Meet our massage therapists.
Have a Heart Healthy Diet
- Improve your diet to ensure you are eating foods that will fortify your heart!
Things to be sure to include are: salmon, flaxseed, almonds, walnuts, blueberries, spinach, sweet potatoes and yes, red wine and dark chocolate in moderation!
Improve the quality of your relationships
- Having a little LOVE in your life can go a long way for healing and strengthening the heart.
Find the time to connect with loved ones this month … it is Valentines Day after all!
We hope you all have a wonderful, love-filled month!
Enjoy every moment you can with your family and friends and please do everything possible to ensure a healthy heart!