5 unusual tips from our naturopath to help you improve your health this spring:
Jillian Murphy, ND
Spring is here! Try these great tips to get a jump on your health this month. Your health will improve while feeling great at the same time!
1. Clean out your underwear drawer. Dump it all on the floor and then carefully assess each item before deciding to put it back. From Marie Kondō, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing “Keep only those things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest. By doing this, you can reset your life and embark on a new lifestyle.”
I’ve never known a pair of holey socks to speak to anyone’s heart. Get rid of them. Reset your life and improve your well being.
(Aside: do the whole house if you’re feeling inspired! The underwear drawer is just your starting point:)
2. Drink a green smoothie every day.….and not just because Gwyneth Paltrow says you should.
Green smoothies are a great way to increase your consumption of greens, up your nutrient & antioxidant intake, improve digestion, hydrate, reduce cravings and clear the skin. Here’s my favourite combo:
The Live Well Smoothie
1 cup of water
1 cup of coconut water with mango puree
2 cups of spinach/baby kale
1 cup of frozen mango
1 cup of frozen pineapple
3. Get outside for a nice long walk because…..nature! It’s cheaper than therapy and the sun on your skin will increase vitamin D levels, improve your mood and regulate your sleep/wake cycles.
4. Ignore the mess in your house, invite friends and/or family over, cook some food and share it.
The health benefits attributed to eating home cooked foods with loved ones are too numerous to list. The benefit of ignoring the mess is your house is that you don’t have to clean it;)
5. Manage your stress. I know there a million ways to approach stress management and I don’t want to make specific recommendations without knowing more about you and your lifestyle but I will suggest this: think more along the lines of – movement, meditation, hydration and whole foods, and less along the lines of – wine, mini eggs, coffee and road rage.
6. A bonus! (AKA Shameless self-promotion)
Get a naturopath. Today!!! Make a naturopath part of your health team and work to improve your WHOLE health: mental, physical, and emotional. At The Live Well Centre I help patients improve their energy, hormonal balance, stress levels, pain, and digestion via herbs, acupuncture, dietary changes and supplements. Book in today to get started!